At 25 life can taste a bit bitter. Being 24 meant I was still in the same age bracket as my 21 year old self, but now I´m in with the late 20s crowd, I´m scared.
What if I don´t buy my first car or figure out what I want to do by the time I turn 30? I was suppose to have it all planned out by now, yet I am still trying to figure it all out. Where/when am I going to settle down and find my dream job? Wait, what is my dream job?
It is all a big, fat BLUR.
But then my Mommy came to the rescue, I told her not to start with the whole “life begins at 40” bullshit so instead, she said she would list a few things she wish she knew at my age. So let´s see if after my mom´s wise words you feel a little more settled about being unsettled.
- Use sunscreen and moisturise daily, you will thank me when you´re 40
- Never stop learning
- Make yourself independent, as soon as you can.
- Being a geek really isn´t so bad
- Believe that you will make the best choice for yourself
- Beware of women with big hands, especially in Bangkok
- Don´t regret burning bridges, regret that certain people were not on the bridge
- It´s OK to be a bitch
- When faced with an option to have another drink or to go home, have another drink – unless you´re paying.
- The only permanent thing in life is change
- Believe in the power of contraception
- Don´t ever live in one place your whole life, make the opportunity to move to another city or country. I promise it will teach you things.
- When in doubt or lost, show gratitude for the journey so far and what you have. You are luckier than many others.
- That boy who broke your heart is a twat and there will be other twats you meet along the way. But eventually you will find “the one”, maybe even more than once.
- If you don´t know whether you should laugh or cry, laugh until you cry.
- Don´t forget to save up but also make sure you spend the money you work hard for to earn and live your life. There is no point saving up for your funeral, your kids can deal with that.
- You should either love the job you do, learn to love it, or leave.
- Always trust your intuition about a person or situation, you are usually right.