Let’s get straight to the point – we all lie. But the lie’s or stories we are told as kids really stick with you and mould you into the person you are today. Luckily for us, we have google and all other sources so our parent’s can’t make something up for their own benefit. But here are some of the lies my parent told me as a kid that I havn’t really gotten over
- Wear these clothes I use to wear, their trendy The sad truth is as a kid you are stuck with your mother’s fashion sense, and sometimes it ain’t cute.
- If you swallow the seed of a fruit, a tree will begin to grow in your tummy While this was just mean and I even remember crying after I swallowed an orange seed, I am totally using this on my kids when I have some 🙂
- When you die, your soul returns to the sky as a star Now while scientifically this isn’t true, I have always been mesmerized by a night sky filled with stars. This was probably why it was so easy to believe my dad when he use to tell me this. Even now, I still look up at the skies and know I have people up there looking after me ❤
- ” I was talking to my guardian angel” This was my father’s favourite line when we use to ask him why he always talked to himself. He was just disguising that he’s a little crazy and thinks out load – either way, I love the cover up!
- “I didn’t forget to pick you up from school – I was just running late” Yeah right – you totally forgot until you saw your child’s name appear on your phone!
- Your Cat COCO ran away So far I have made it seem like my father was the only one chatting doodoo, but mom I remember that time you said our first pet cat COCO had run away and we were all heartbroken. But the truth was she was killed by the neighbour’s dog, all that time I thought she didn’t like us anymore.
- If you keep making that stupid face, your face will look like that forever But guess what – I’m still pulling that silly face and I’m just fine 🙂 I also still roll my eyes at every other sentence and they roll back to their usual position with ease
- It was the tooth fairy This is something else I’ll carry one with my kids, my mom blew the cover one night I remember being half asleep and seeing her sneak a 50 cent coin under my pillow and take my tooth! CAUGHT RED HANDED!
- Zwarte Pieten will take you away if you’ve been naughty In Germany and other countries like the Netherlands, Belgium and Poland, St.Nicholas day is a big day for kids where he comes to visit with chocolates and gifts. Whenever we were in Germany over Christmas we would have “st. Nicholas” come visit with his helper – Zwarte Pieten. In all honesty this whole tradition is pretty racist in my opinion as Zwarte Pieten comes with a black face and we were told that if we hadn’t behaved that year he would take us away. I actually remember being scared – truth is it was just one of our distant relatives dressed up, who was probably more scared of kids.
- If you keep cracking your knuckles they will grow bigger and you will have fat fingers It is such an annoying habit and my sister does it so often so I don’t blame them for trying to stop it but my sister still has lovely slim fingers so hey – go figure.
- I wasn’t snoring They say after you wake them up from accidentally falling asleep by the TV…. and “not snoring”
What are some of the lies they told you?