The new year is here, anyone else feeling the hangover? 1st of January is always such a weird day, the streets are fairly empty, everyone is dreading work the next day after the long holiday break, and you just didn’t wake up with that New Year feeling!
The gyms will now be packed for a few weeks with the new year resolutionists. I think everyone is ready to eat more consciously and exercise after not giving a sh** for a week. I for one had a week long cheat day.
While I am not one for the “new year, new me” fad, I do like to take time to really reflect on the previous year, what I gained, what I lost and what it taught me. 2017 and 2016 were all about self love and healing, but 2018 allowed me to elevate that. Continue reading “2018 Lessons That I Will Live By in 2019”
Ex’s, we all have them. There is the crazy ex, the ex who doesn’t love you anymore, the ex who pops up every now and again or the ex that won’t let you move on. I have had my fair share of drama but I have entered a drama free realm for the past year, good vibes only!
However, it took some work to get there. After my last relationship ended, I was very much enjoying the single life and freedom. I cannot emphasise how important it is to really take time to heal after a relationship has turned sour, and healing by yourself is the true challenge. Not finding comfort in another person’s arms but to find comfort within you.
After a 4 year relationship, it was obviously not going to be a clean slate break-up. However, for my own sanity and self-respect, I ended the relationship by text.
I know, a horrible act, and quite selfish. Continue reading “Knowing When To Close That Door”
So, if you are part of the roughly 3.5 million people watching Love island the past week, I am sure you have a lot of thoughts and rage running through your blood. Watching what some of us go through in a few months, in just a week can bring about a whirlwind of emotions.
I hate to admit that I plan my summer days so that on most weeknights I am comfortably sat in my pyjamas in front of the TV ready for a 9pm kick-off, it is tragically exciting. But while some may see it as a waste of an hour of your life each day, I like to multi-task while I am watching it, doing my nails or my hair while I’m sat glued on the sofa makes me feel less guilty for my indulgence. I also like to think that I learn some valuable life lessons from Love Island, so much so I am writing a blog post on it……. What have you come to Mel.
1.You will lose a man the same way you got him Continue reading “What Love Island Teaches You About Real Life”
I have never had horrible skin, the occasional spot here and there when I am stressed or about to come on, however, I do suffer from dry skin and blemishes. There are so many skin care products out there, and if you really want something good for you then you have to be prepared to spend the big bucks right? Wrong.
Well maybe half wrong. I am strong believer that mother nature has the answer to many things. When I’m ill I stay away from medicine and have honey, lemon and ginger tea. I also notice that what I put into my body is what comes out of my skin so if I have had a naughty weekend filled with sugary foods and dairy, then I will no doubt wake up with mount Kinabalu on my forehead.
There are a few natural products and ingredients that I have used as my main skin care products that have really had a great impact on my skin’s dryness and appearance and you can easily afford them and introduce them into your every day skin care routine. Continue reading “Natural Skincare Must Haves”
I was going to start this post wishing everyone happy international Women’s day, but it really isn’t a happy affair. Even though we have had strong movements in Hollywood with Times Up, and company’s in England have announced the gender pay gaps within many companies, the reality is, we are still no where near to achieving equality.
There are still girls in other countries that aren’t allowed to study because they are being married off at 16 or earlier to a man almost twice their age.
There are still women who are told that they there place is at home, in the kitchen and looking after the children. Continue reading “Being A Feminist in the 21st Century”
This is the age old question, or maybe a more recent question with the likes of social media, online dating apps and catfish realities. How can you tell the difference between lust and love? Now I am no love doctor but I have experienced being in love and being in lust and there are some key differentiators to look out for, to determine (in my bee-gees voice) how deep is your love. Continue reading “Lust or Love: How Do You Tell The Difference”
The ones reading this probably aren’t going on a date tonight with that special someone or do not have a special someone. But guess what, grab a glass of wine and watch some shit tv (after you read this) and before you know it Valentine’s will be over ;p
The truth is, I use to get really excited for Valentine’s day. Continue reading “Self-Love On Valentine’s Day”
I am writing this post while I sit on my 13 hour flight back home to Singapore to see the family for Christmas. Did you know that people are more emotional on flights? Either because you know your not going to see someone special for a few weeks or that you are about to see people you grew up with after nearly two years and finally go on that adventure you have been dreaming of. That is also one of the reasons there is a higher chance of crying while watching a film on board your flight… I personally love a good sad film on planes as I feel the tears hydrate my tired eyes 😉
But this post isn’t about long haul flights. Today I am simply writing about that spectacular “first love”. You know the one we always see on movies and read in romance novels? That love that every girl dreams of when she is little, that Prince Charming? Unfortunately what a lot of us weren’t told is that first love doesn’t always last forever. Continue reading “The Reality Of Your First Love”
Let’s get straight to the point – we all lie. But the lie’s or stories we are told as kids really stick with you and mould you into the person you are today. Luckily for us, we have google and all other sources so our parent’s can’t make something up for their own benefit. But here are some of the lies my parent told me as a kid that I havn’t really gotten over
- Wear these clothes I use to wear, their trendy The sad truth is as a kid you are stuck with your mother’s fashion sense, and sometimes it ain’t cute.
- If you swallow the seed of a fruit, a tree will begin to grow in your tummy While this was just mean and I even remember crying after I swallowed an orange seed, I am totally using this on my kids when I have some 🙂
- When you die, your soul returns to the sky as a star Now while scientifically this isn’t true, I have always been mesmerized by a night sky filled with stars. This was probably why it was so easy to believe my dad when he use to tell me this. Even now, I still look up at the skies and know I have people up there looking after me ❤
- ” I was talking to my guardian angel” This was my father’s favourite line when we use to ask him why he always talked to himself. He was just disguising that he’s a little crazy and thinks out load – either way, I love the cover up!
- “I didn’t forget to pick you up from school – I was just running late” Yeah right – you totally forgot until you saw your child’s name appear on your phone!
- Your Cat COCO ran away So far I have made it seem like my father was the only one chatting doodoo, but mom I remember that time you said our first pet cat COCO had run away and we were all heartbroken. But the truth was she was killed by the neighbour’s dog, all that time I thought she didn’t like us anymore.
- If you keep making that stupid face, your face will look like that forever But guess what – I’m still pulling that silly face and I’m just fine 🙂 I also still roll my eyes at every other sentence and they roll back to their usual position with ease
- It was the tooth fairy This is something else I’ll carry one with my kids, my mom blew the cover one night I remember being half asleep and seeing her sneak a 50 cent coin under my pillow and take my tooth! CAUGHT RED HANDED!
- Zwarte Pieten will take you away if you’ve been naughty In Germany and other countries like the Netherlands, Belgium and Poland, St.Nicholas day is a big day for kids where he comes to visit with chocolates and gifts. Whenever we were in Germany over Christmas we would have “st. Nicholas” come visit with his helper – Zwarte Pieten. In all honesty this whole tradition is pretty racist in my opinion as Zwarte Pieten comes with a black face and we were told that if we hadn’t behaved that year he would take us away. I actually remember being scared – truth is it was just one of our distant relatives dressed up, who was probably more scared of kids.
- If you keep cracking your knuckles they will grow bigger and you will have fat fingers It is such an annoying habit and my sister does it so often so I don’t blame them for trying to stop it but my sister still has lovely slim fingers so hey – go figure.
- I wasn’t snoring They say after you wake them up from accidentally falling asleep by the TV…. and “not snoring”
What are some of the lies they told you?
I am surrounded by the modern day independent woman who gets what she wants on her own, works hard and has so much ambition but is always talking about how men aren’t shit and they are all “wastemen”. I am admittedly one of them and it had me thinking about the society we live in today.
Many people talk about how relationships like our grandparent’s don’t exist anymore, but I don’t think that is the case. I just think less people are willing to deal with someone else’s flaws and mistakes. Many times, people stay in a relationship or marriage because they depend on that person for more than just companionship but also financial support etc. So if you have your own, then there is nothing keeping you in a relationship that has gone sour or with a partner that has gone astray. Continue reading “The Struggle of The Modern Day Single Woman”